Today we discuss a viral video from Bill Nye the Science Guy, a pop-science leader, who wonders whether philosophy can provide any real answers to the questions of life. A listener asks whether Bishop Barron would accept an invitation to appear on HBO’s “Real Time” with religious skeptic Bill Maher.
- 0:16 – Bishop Barron updates us on recent talks/events
- 1:41 – Viral Bill Nye the Science YouTube video on science and philosophy
- 3:42 – Is philosophy really dragging behind science or, worse, is it dead?
- 8:19 – Does philosophy ever provide answers that overturn common sense?
- 8:58 – Bill Nye’s most interesting philosophical questions
- 12:03 – Does truth require consensus in either science or philosophy?
- 14:17 – David Hume and hyper-skepticism
- 15:44 – How skepticism toward philosophy erodes the foundation of science
- 19:31 – Bill Nye comments on René Descartes
- 21:13 – The problem of dismissing philosophy without understanding it
- 23:34 – Bill Nye’s shift from philosophy’s ability to net you a job
- 28:55 – Question from listener: Would Bishop Barron accept an invitation to appear on Bill Maher’s show?
- Hey Bill Nye, ‘Does Science Have All the Answers or Should We Do Philosophy Too?’ (Bill Nye)
- Atheism and Philosophy (Bishop Barron)
- Bishop Barron on “The Theory of Everything” (Bishop Barron)
- Bishop Barron on “Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey” (Bishop Barron)
- Has Science Refuted Aristotelian Causality? (Bishop Barron)
- Scientism and God’s Existence (Bishop Barron)
- Stephen Hawking and Atheism (Bishop Barron)
- Fr. George Coyne and the Fertile Cosmos (Bishop Barron)