Bishop Robert Barron recently had the privilege of speaking to around nine thousand students from the Catholic middle schools and high schools of the Los Angeles Archdiocese. Encouraged by their enthusiasm, he invited them to internalize three spiritual truths as they come of age. In today’s episode, Bishop Barron recounts the event and explains some lessons that all Catholics but particularly young Catholics need to take to heart. The listener question asks what Gospel passages are difficult for the bishop to come to terms with and how Catholics ought internalize Jesus’ more troubling messages.
- 0:17 – Introduction, The Word on Fire Show 50th Episode, Youth Event Details
- 2:50 – Lesson 1: The Law of the Gift, what does that mean?
- 5:55 – What do you say to someone who claims total happiness in the secular world?
- 8:49 – How does St. Mother Theresa of Calcutta represent the Law of the Gift?
- 10:35 – Lesson 2: Spiritual Excellence, why not settle for spiritual mediocrity?
- 12:50 – How does Bl. Pier Giorgio Frassati best represent aspiring young Catholics?
- 14:30 – What does it mean to say that holiness is broad, vibrant, and colorful?
- 16:45 – Lesson 3: Be a Rebel! What is true rebellion?
- 19:36 – Who is Jose Sanchez del Rio?
- 22:57 – Question from listener: What does Bishop Barron consider to be the most difficult messages of Jesus? How ought we wrestle with them?
- Advice to Students New and Old (Bishop Barron)
- Why Anti-Catholic Prejudice Ought to Bother Everyone (Bishop Barron)
- Porn and the Curse of Total Sexual Freedom (Bishop Barron)
- Study Program
- The Mystery of God: Who God Is and Why He Matters (Bishop Barron)
- Word On Fire (Proclaiming Christ in the Culture)